Eyelid Lift – Blepharoplasty in Newport Beach California
Blepharoplasty, also known as an eyelid lift, is a surgical procedure that aims to improve the appearance of the upper and/or lower eyelids. It is often performed to address concerns such as sagging or drooping eyelids, bags under the eyes, and excess skin or fat in the eyelid area. Blepharoplasty can be done for cosmetic reasons or to improve vision in cases where excess skin or fat is obstructing the field of vision.
The procedure can be performed on both the upper and lower eyelids, and can be done on one or both eyes. The surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia, although it can also be done under general anesthesia if desired.
To perform the surgery, the surgeon will make an incision along the natural crease of the upper eyelid or just below the lower eyelid. Through this incision, excess skin, fat, and muscle can be removed or repositioned as needed. In some cases, the surgeon may also need to tighten the muscles and connective tissue in the eyelid area to improve the overall appearance of the eyelids.
After the surgery, the incisions will be closed with sutures or staples, and a bandage may be applied to the eyelids to protect them during the healing process. Some swelling and bruising is normal after blepharoplasty surgery, and it is important to follow the surgeon’s instructions for post-operative care to ensure the best possible results. This may include using cold compresses to reduce swelling, avoiding strenuous activity for a period of time, and using prescribed ointments or eye drops as directed.
The results of blepharoplasty surgery are generally long-lasting, although the effects of aging and other factors may eventually cause the eyelids to return to their original appearance. As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with blepharoplasty, including infection, bleeding, and scarring. It is important to discuss these risks with a qualified surgeon before deciding to undergo the procedure.
Blepharoplasty surgery can be an effective way to improve the appearance of the eyelids and enhance the overall aesthetic of the face. It is important to carefully consider the procedure and discuss it with a qualified surgeon before making a decision. It is also important to have realistic expectations about the results of the surgery and to understand that it is not a permanent fix for the effects of aging.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery
There are several potential benefits to eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty). Some of the most common benefits include:
- Improved appearance: Blepharoplasty can help to improve the appearance of the eyelids by reducing excess skin, fat, and muscle in the area. This can make the eyes look more youthful and rejuvenated, as well as more alert and awake.
- Improved vision: In some cases, excess skin or fat in the eyelid area can obstruct vision. Blepharoplasty can help to remove this excess tissue and improve vision.
- Enhanced self-confidence: Many people who undergo blepharoplasty report an increase in self-confidence and self-esteem as a result of the procedure. This can be due to the improved appearance of the eyes and the overall rejuvenation of the face.
- Long-lasting results: While the effects of aging and other factors may eventually cause the eyelids to return to their original appearance, the results of blepharoplasty surgery are generally long-lasting.
- Minimal downtime: Blepharoplasty is typically an outpatient procedure, and many people are able to return to their normal activities within a few days of the surgery. This makes it a convenient option for those who want to improve their appearance without a long recovery period.
It is important to keep in mind that while blepharoplasty can offer many benefits, it is not a permanent solution to the effects of aging. The procedure may need to be repeated in the future to maintain the desired results.
For eyelid surgery in Newport Beach California contact board certified plastic surgeon Michael Bain MD.